Trends In Permanent Pacemakers’ Implantation: Where Do We Stand?
Keywords:Permanent Pacemakers, cardiac implantable electronic devices, pacing mode
Objective: To determine the Trends In Permanent Pacemakers’ Implantation: Where Do We Stand?
Methodology: The study was conducted at cardiology department of Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, Islamabad. Study duration was two years from April 2010 to March 2018. In this study the retrospectively data was analyzed to see the trend in the rate of annual implantation of permanent pacemaker’s and patient’s demographics. Data for the study was extracted from the hospital records of cardiac devices implantation. All the information was recorded via study proforma. Analysis of the data was done by the SPSS version 20.
Results: Total 1670 procedure were analyzed retrospectively. Mean age of patients at the time of implantation was 60.47 ± 16.357 Std Deviation. Single chamber devices were 1030 and dual chambers pacemakers remained 535 in the study population. Complication rate remain 2.2% during the procedure. 62.8% devices were implanted on payment from patients and the rest 37.2% on donation from various resources. The trend of single and dual chamber devices remain constant in the study period. However dual chamber devices implantation ratio increased in 2017 due to donation of devices and government sponsorship scheme.
Conclusion: There is a significant increase in the implantation of cardiac devices, the trend closely follows the financial status of patients and the supply of devices from various donor agencies.
Copyright (c) 2021 Annals of PIMS-Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.