Milligan Morgan Haemorrhoidectomy vs LigaSure Haemorrhoidectomy : Comparative Postoperative Outcomes

Authors

  • Abdul Rashid Surahio Assistant Professor of Surgery (Liaquat University of Medical &Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro)
  • Ali Gohar Khan Resident Medical Officer of Surgery (Liaquat University of Medical &Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro)
  • Ahmed Ali Danish Senior Medical Officer of Surgery Liaquat University of Medical &Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro)
  • Abdul Salam Memon Assistant Professor of Surgery (Liaquat University of Medical &Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro)
  • Ashar Ahmad Khan Assistant Professor of Surgery (Liaquat University of Medical &Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro)
  • Syed Asad Ali Shah Associate Professor Surgery Bilawal Medical Colleger,

Keywords:

Heamorrhoidectomy, Milligan Morgan, LigaSure, operative and post operative outcomes

Abstract

Objective: To compare the traditional Milligan Morgan haemorrhoidectomy with haemorrhoidectomy using LigaSure in terms of postoperative complications, patient satisfaction and hospital stay.

Methodology: This is a randomized controlled trial carried out at the Department of Surgery Liaquat university hospital Jamshoro from July 2017 to June 2019. A total of 88 patients were admitted with the diagnoses of 3rd and 4th degree haemorrhoid were included in the study. Patients were randomly divided into two groups by lottery method. Group A underwent Milligan Morgan Haemorrhoidectomy and group B underwent Haemorrhoidectomy by Ligasure after the informed consent. Outcomes of both procedures were also compared by complications, patient satisfaction and hospital stay.

Results: Out of 88 patients 35 were male (39.78%) and 53 were female (60.22%). The most common group of age involved was between 35–55 years. Third degree Haemorrhoids were present in 40 (45.45%) of patients while the remaining 48 (54.55%) had fourth degree Haemorrhoids. Group A included 44(50%) cases while Group B included 44 (50%) cases. The mean operating time of Group A was 50.5 (minutes) with a standard deviation of 11.5 while it was 35.5 ± 9.4 in B group. The mean blood loss in group A was 65.30 ml with a standard deviation of 14.58 while it was 45.45 ml ± 20.49 in group B.

Conclusion: The Haemorrhoidectomy done by Ligasure is comparatively better than the Milligan Morgan Heamorrhoidectomy, in terms of operative time, less bleeding, less pain, less hospital stays and early return to work.

Published

2021-03-31

Issue

Section

Original Articles