Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Keywords:Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,, gastro esophageal reflux disease
Objective: To determine the frequency of gastroesophageal reflux disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Pakistani population
Methodology: This cross-sectional study was conducted through medical out-patient Department, Services Hospital, Lahore. From September 2014 to March 2015. All the patients having chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) were included. COPD was defined as the patients having ratio of “forced expiratory volume in one second” (FEVI) to “forced vital capacity” (FVC) below 70% and having no improvement in FEVI after bronchodilator. Information regarding the frequency of GERD was collected through a performa. Data was analyzed using SPSS version 16.
Results: Majority of the patients i.e. 38% were between 41-50 years of age, 34% between 51-60 years, 26% between 61-70 years, and only 2% were between 31-40 years of age. Mean and SD was calculated as 47.54+3.62 years, 90% cases were males while remaining 10% were females, frequency of GERD in patients with COPD was 33%.
Copyright (c) 2021 Annals of PIMS-Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.