Atrial Fibrillation and its Association with First Ever Stroke


  • Akhtar Ali Bandeshah Cardiology Deptt, Pakistan Institute of Medical Siences (PIMS), Islamabad.
  • Liaqat Ali Rind Medical Officer, Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, Islamabad
  • Abid Saeed Capital Hospital Capital Hospital



: Ischemic stroke


Objective: To determine the frequency of atrial fibrillation in adult patients with first ever ischaemic stroke.

Methodology: A total of 86 patients of stroke were selected for this study. CT scan brain (plain) was advised for all the patients. Subsequently those patients in whom CT scan was suggestive of ischemic stroke, a 12 leads electrocardiogram was done for the confirmation of atrial fibrillation, which was verified by a cardiologist.

Results: The mean age of the patients was 57.16+17.12 years. There were 52 (60.5%) male and 34 (39.5%) female patients. Out of total 86 patients, pulsus deficit was present in 17(19.8%) patients. The mean ventricular rate was 86.98 + 22.13 per minute. There were 17 (19.8%) patients with irregular rhythm recorded on ECG while 69 (80.2%) patients had regular rhythm. Likewise P wave was absent in 17(19.8%) patients and present in the remaining 69 patients (80.2%).There were 17 (19.8%) patients in whom atrial fibrillation was present while in  69 (80.2%) patients it was absent.

Conclusion: Atrial fibrillation is a common arrhythmia and a major risk factor for ischemic stroke, especially in the elderly. The prevalence of atrial fibrillation in ischemic stroke increases with age in both genders.





Original Articles